The Apollo Bay Hotel was built in 1885 and was originally named Kambruk Public Hall. The Hotel had 30 rooms and remained virtually unaltered for 70 years.
In 1901 the Hotel was purchased by Mrs A. E. Cawood, publican until 1905 when it was acquired by the Pengilley family who retained management until the 1930s.
Over its existence (and more recently), Apollo Bay Hotel has undergone some major developments including a total refurbishment of its public bar and bistro, as well as the addition of an outdoor alfresco dining area, a function room and a conversion of the original bottle shop into a pool lounge.
Apollo Bay Hotel is proud to house part of the wreckage from the famous SS Casino – an iron steamship which sank on 10 July, 1932 while trying to secure a mooring at Apollo Bay pier.
The SS Casino made 2,500 voyages in the treacherous waters of Bass Strait and was considered one of the “immortals” of Port Phillip. The steamer had several brushes with disaster; it collided with another boat off Point Gellibrand, ran aground on a reef near Grey River, and was beached at Warrnambool while entering Lady Bay in a power blackout. Following each incident, the steamer was repaired and returned to its west coast run.
This time, the steamer could not be saved and the Captain and nine other crew lost their lives.